Wednesday, July 11, 2012

NYC EATS & SWEETS Katy's Recommendations

Hi friends, 

OK so I thought I would use my insomnia constructively here and make up a helpful little list of places that I would go to if I was in New York City right now. My friend Ann is going to visit NYC in August which is actually pretty soon ... but I'm sure she's not the only one. So, if you are on your way to "the city" - there really is only ONE in the world- here is a little list of some places that I love and that I'm REALLY missing now. So check em' out- GO and ENJOY for me!


#1. Roma Pizza - get a Fresh Mozzarella Slice.... or two!.... or a whole pie! Let it cool a little too... don't eat it toooo hot. A burnt mouth misses out on all of that sweet tomato-y basil-y and milky fresh cheese goodness. Seriously, I've never had any of their other pies .... because there is no need. Fresh Mozzarella is the end of the line. Why go anywhere else after you've been to heaven?....

  ADDRESS
   85 7th Ave
   (between Berkeley Pl & Union St)
   BrooklynNY 11217
   Neighborhood: Park Slope
   (718) 783-7334

see their review on YELP here ----> http://www.yelp.com/biz/roma-pizzeria-brooklyn-2 
SUBWAY LINE - take the Q to 7th Avenue and walk down a little bit. 

#2. Calle Ocho - especially for their UNLIMITED SANGRIA BRUNCH. Just don't get too tipsy/crazy or you will get noticed and get cut off. I haven't seen this happen -- but I've heard that since moving to their new location, the restaurant has tightened its grip a bit and sharply narrowed the definition of "unlimited". I haven't been to the new location, and I've only been here for brunch --- but that said, the brunch is delicious, colorful, amazing .... a great time! The banana-lychee sangria was one of my favorites. 

ADDRESS
Inside the Excelsior Hotel
45 W 81st St

New YorkNY 10024
Neighborhood: Upper West Side
(212) 873-5025

see their review on YELP here -------> http://www.yelp.com/biz/calle-ocho-new-york
SUBWAY LINE - take the A, B, or C line to the 81st st./Museum of Natural History stop. 


#3. CRIF DOGS - every kind of hot dog imaginable - even turkey and vegetarian varieties. 
The "Tsunami dog" is my favorite here- it's bacon wrapped with green onions, pineapple, and teriyaki sauce. Very yummy. 

ADDRESS 
113 St. Marks Pl
(between Avenue A & 1st Ave)
New YorkNY 10009
Neighborhoods: East Village, Alphabet City
(212) 614-2728

SUBWAY LINE- I'd take the F train to 2nd avenue. That's easiest for this part of the  village I think.

- I'm tired of posting links--- but I think they have a review on YELP too. Just click on YELP and see. OR trust MY review! :p

#4. DYLAN'S CANDY BAR!!! -  did you like Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory? - step inside this store and you will INSTANTLY feel like you are there.
I can't promise that you'll run into any Oompha Loomphas BUT I CAN promise that it has every variety of candy that you love- and even some retro- childhood favorites that might not be sold/distributed to most stores anymore. Next year when I go home to visit NY, I want to take my Aunt Joan and Aunt Anne here. They would LOVE it - esp. the old candies from "back in their day". ALSO- Dylan's has a great little cafe where you can sit and order ice cream sweets and even some "grown-up treats"-  really cute looking and yet quite strong, alcoholic drinks. The phrase "Like a kid in a candy store" - has never been more appropriate/literal- come here and you will feel the giddiness of youth, of all of the endless, sweet possibilities in front of you. 

ADDRESS
1011 3rd Ave
(between 60th St & 61st St)
New YorkNY 10021
Neighborhood: Upper East Side
(646) 735-0078

SUBWAY LINE - probably your best bet is to take the 4, 5, or 6 train to 59th Street. 


Ohh... it is getting late over here. It's 2:15am and I'm getting a little tired actually, maybe late-night blogging is the key to cure my insomnia? hmmmm I'll have to try it more often. 

I want to post more links .... but quickly just to name some places off the top of my head.

OZZIE'S COFFEEHOUSE - Park Slope Brooklyn - a lot of varieties of coffee, a nice local/organic change from "Starbucks", comfy couches, tables, and chairs. They serve some delicious cakes and pastries too. 

AQUAGRILL - Spring St., Manhattan- a little on the expensive side, but they've got a nice variety of oysters - East Coast/West Coast, Canadian, etc.  really great menu in general - lots of different seafood. 

LOKI LOUNGE - Park Slope, Brooklyn. - it's more of a bar/lounge than a real "restaurant"- but they DO serve great food TOO... along with their drinks. Laid back, nice atmosphere. "Chill" - is what it is. I remember coming with some of my old co-workers after work- usually on a Friday after pay day. - good spot to kick back, sigh and say TGIF!


ahhh... there are still more places that I would recommend. But I think I'm just gonna to have to do an " Eats & Sweets: Part 2" entry at some point here .... because it's time for "Head 2 Bed" for me.

So don't gobble these up too quickly.... save room for more later! 

Good night!


 











No comments:

Post a Comment